Have you ever tried plantains? Well I have a delicious recipe for tostones, guacamole, skirt steak and chimichuri sauce. Great idea for a Whole30 approved recipe. Make extra because they will go fast.
This is the perfect recipe to share with friends, enjoy for lunch or dinner. Makes a great appetizer to bring to your next party.
Check out the videos of how to make these on my Facebook Page here.
2 plantains, not too ripe
3/4 – 1 cup coconut oil (divided)
flaky sea salt to taste
1. Begin with plantains. Cut ends off plantains, score sides of peel from top to bottom. Get your thumb underneath the peel & slide it down to remove peel.
2. Cut into 1 in chunks. Heat a cast iron skillet over medium heat & add 1/4 cup coconut oil to start. Once oil begins to sizzle, add plantain chunks to the skillet.
3. Fry plantain pieces in oil, turning to evenly coat, over med heat (adjusting to avoid browning) until yellow & just beginning to turn light brown – about 5-7 mins. Remove from pan, put on paper towel to drain. Turn heat off.
4. Smash on a cutting board once slightly cooled with the bottom of a plate, slowly.
5. Heat oil again adding a bit more if you need, over med heat until it sizzles.
6. Fry smashed plantains until first side is golden brown, flip, repeat – 2-3 minutes per side. Drain on paper towel, season with sea salt.
7. Drain on paper towels and sprinkle with coarse sea salt.
3-4 small ripe avocados
1/4 cup cilantro, chopped finely
1 lime, squeezed
sea salt to taste
fresh red chili, optional, chopped finely
1. Cut avocado in half & scoop out in a bowl. Add finely chopped cilantro.
2. Squeeze lime & sprinkle in salt. Mix & taste to salt.
recipe can be found here.
1 lb skirt steak
3/4 cup coconut aminos
1 large lime
1/2 cup finely chopped cilantro
1 tbsp sea salt
4 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
olive oil for brushing on meat
1. Combine all the marinade ingredients into the bag, add the meat, close the bag, massage marinate into the meat and let it sit in the fridge for at least 3 hours.
3. Take meat out, pat dry the meat with paper towel. Lay out on a cookie sheet, brush on light amount of olive oil.
4. Heat grill or grill pan to 375-400F.
5. Grill on one side for about 3-5 minutes, depends how thin the meat is.
6. Add guacamole, steak on tostones. Drizzle chimichuri sauce.