Holiday baking at my house is in full swing. We are baking dozens of these shortbread cookies to give away to friends, family, teachers and coworkers. I love this time of the year when the weather outside is cold, but it’s nice and cozy inside. We wear our pajamas most of the day while playing christmas tunes and making the house smell great while baking. There is nothing better than the combination of butter, flour and sugar to make these easy cookies. But I figured why not elevate them a bit and make three different flavors this year, every bite will be special.
Something about the simplicity of this shortbread cookie from the start and how adding some different flavors can transform a simple cookie to a grand cookie. I love shortbread cookies because you can make the dough ahead of time and when you are in the mood for cookies or have company coming over you can take out the dough from the freezer, bake up a batch or two and make the house fill up with delectable scents.
I found that adding a bit of rice flour into the dough adds a bit more of a crisp to the cookie and makes them lighter. Im excited for you to try this recipe out and I hope you let me know what you think.This year, I am excited to join my good friends from The Modern Proper for a virtual cookie exchange. How cool is that, a virtual cookie exchange, where bloggers from all over can get together and share a special cookie recipe on one night. The hashtag that will be used to share these recipes on our Instagram accounts and blogs will be #calmandbrightcookienight. I hope you follow along and get to try some of these recipes, including mine. I would love to hear your favorites are. Scroll down to see other bloggers recipe links at the end of my post.
BASIC SHORTBREAD COOKIE DOUGH
3 3/4 all purpose flour
1/2 cup rice flour
3/4 teaspoon sea salt
2 cups room temperature unsalted butter
1 1/4 cup unsifted confectioner’s sugar
1/2 cup sugar for rolling only
LEMON – THYME FLAVOR
1 TBSP fresh thyme, chopped
1 TBSP lemon zest
DARK CHOCOLATE – CHERRY FLAVOR
1/2 cup finely shaved chocolate, I used 60% dark chocolate bar
1/2 cup chopped dried dark bing cherries
CARDAMON – ORANGE – PISTACHIO FLAVOR
1 tsp heaped ground cardamom
1 TBSP orange zest
1/4 cup pistachios roughly chopped for inside the cookie
1/4 cup or more finely chopped pistachios for rolling edges of this cookie METHOD
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
2. In a bowl, combine both flours and salt. Set aside.
3. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add the confectioner’s sugar. Beat until combined.
4. Beat in as much of the flour mixture as you can with the mixer. Use a wooden spoon to stir in any remaining flour mixture.
5. On a lightly floured surface, knead the dough into a long log, cut into three equal pieces.
6. Add the add ons for each flavor to each section and knead it together to combine. Roll into a log and wrap in plastic wrap or waxed paper. Chill for 2 to 24 hours or until firm.
7. Cut roll into ¼-inch slices. For the pistachio flavor, roll each cookie edge in the finely chopped pistachios.
8. Place slices 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheet. Bake in preheated oven for about 10-15 minutes, or until edges are lightly browned. Transfer cookies to a wire rack and let cool.
9. Stack 5 cookies together and wrap in twine or ribbon, add a sprig of thyme and give as a gift or enjoy at home.
Enjoy and Happy Holidays!
Check out the bloggers recipes that participated :
Wood and Spoon – Candied Walnut Chocolate Chip Cookies
Floating Kitchen – Chocolate Peppermint Thumbprint Cookies
Brewing Happiness – Mint Chocolate Gingerbread Cookies
The Vintage Mixer – Ginger Creams with Browned Butter Icing
Wu Haus – Raw Vegan Gingerbread Cookie Sandwiches
The Almond Eater – Homemade Almond Biscotti
Chocolate + Marrow – Brown Butter Gingerbread Madeleines
Hungry Girl Por Vida – Lemon Pistachio Linzer Cookies
Honestly YUM – Ricciarelli (Italian Almond Cookies)
Husbands That Cook – Chocolate Sugar Cookies
The Judy Lab – Sea Salt Chocolate Chocolate Chip Cookies
Gather and Dine – Chocolate Almond Spelt Cookies
Betty S Liu- Cardamom Persimmon Cookies with Olive Oil Dark Chocolate Ganache
Harvest and Honey – Milk & Cookies
Bakerita – Chocolate Rugelach (gluten free + refined sugar free)
The Fauxmartha – Snowball cookies
The Kitchen Paper – Soft Toffee Cookies
Life Is But A Dish – Chocolate Peppermint Cream Cookies
Oh Honey Bakes Pomegranate Pistachio and Almond Biscotti
The Brick Kitchen – Coconut Raspberry Wagon Wheels
Alexandra Cooks – Classic Cream Cheese Cutout Cookies
Hello My Dumpling – Ginger Viennese Whirl Cookies with Matcha Passion Fruit Filling
Snixy Kitchen – Peppermint Chocolate Marshmallow Cookies
Tending the Table – Almond Macaroons with Satsuma Marmalade
Milly’s Kitchen – Grapefruit Fennel Shortbread Cookies
PDX Food Love – Chocolate Bourbon Swirl Meringues
Lasting Ingredient – Lemon Lime Shortbread
Heart Beet Kitchen – Chocolate Peppermint Crinkle Cookies
Carly Diaz – Dark Chocolate Pistachio Shortbread Cookie
Cloudy Kitchen – Early Grey Shortbread
The Modern Proper – Coconut Thumbprint Cookies with Salted Caramel