What can be better than a heart warming bowl of tomato soup? A roasted tomato soup and grilled cheese. Made with love and enjoyed with family.
This is probably one of my favorite soups to make. It’s so easy and makes a big ole pot that you can enjoy for days of freeze. We prefer having lots of friends over and making it a night of it. Gathering around the table is one of my favorite things and traditions to have with my family. We often have friends over for dinner parties and this is the perfect way to enjoy some time together and eat some yummy soup.
A few years ago, we used to get together for soup nights with 6 couple friends and their kids. Whoever was hosting was in charge of making a soup or two and everyone else covered the salad, appetizers, dessert and drinks. How fun is that? We would rotate each month of who hosted the soup night and it was such a blast. This was one of my faves to make and share with our friends.
Dressing it up with some homemade grilled cheese takes it up a notch for sure. You can keep it healthy and enjoy it as is or make it sinful and serve it with the grilled cheese. the ball is in your court… or should I say the BOWL is in your court… hahah ok fine I’ll stop.
The great thing about this soup is it’s vegan, gluten free if you don’t do the grilled cheese on the side, Whole30 approved, paleo and all the healthy things out there. Make this soup for your family and let me know what you think in comments after. I hope they love it as much as we do.
ROASTED TOMATO SOUP AND GRILLED CHEESE
Serves 14 people at least
|5 Costco sized containers||Campari tomatoes on the vine|
|3 – 28 oz cans||good quality canned tomatoes|
|2 large||sweet onion, peeled, cut into 10 wedges|
|1/2 large||garlic head, not peeled|
|salt to taste||I used Jacobsen smoked sea salt|
|olive oil||to drizzle on tomatoes for roasting|
|1 tbsp||dried oregano|
|1 cup + 1/2 cup||chopped fresh basil + some for finished soup|
1. Preheat oven to 425F.
2. Place tomatoes, onion, garlic on cookie sheet, drizzle with olive oil and salt, bake for about 30 mins or until tomatoes are soft and have popped their skins.
3. Remove stems from tomatoes, add tomatoes, onion and peel the garlic from skin into large pot.
4.Bring the pot to a simmer and add in canned tomatoes. Taste for salt and adjust seasoning. Add in dried oregano.
5. Simmer for about 30 mins on low. Add in fresh basil about 5 minutes before done, mix.
6. Remove from heat and using a stick blender, blend until smooth. Adjust seasoning if needed. Sprinkle with fresh basil in each bowl. Serve with or without grilled cheese.
Serves 4, use as reference for more and double or triple
|8 slices||good crusty bread|
|8 handfuls||good quality smoked cheese, I used Tillamook|
|unsalted butter||spread light coat on one side of bread only|
1. Butter toast on one side, grate cheese.
2. Preheat skillet to medium heat. Add buttered side down for 30 secs, flip to non buttered side so bread can get toasted a bit, flip it back and add cheese on both sides of non buttered side, press together and then flip.
3. Enjoy with soup.
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE?
If you give my ROASTED TOMATO SOUP AND GRILLED CHEESE a try? Let me know what you think. Leave a comment and don’t forget to take a picture, tag it with #lenaskitchenblog on Instagram or tag me on my Facebook page! I love seeing what you come up with!