This ONE SHEET PAN SWEET POTATO BREAKFAST is packed with healthy protein, starches, fats, and veggies! Easy to throw together and done in no time. This is a great meal to serve up whenever you’re hosting your next brunch or any day for your family.
It’s January and our family is doing the Whole30 January challenge. Are you doing it as well? If you haven’t heard of Whole30 before, click here for more info and rules. This is my short version of an answer. You get to eat meals that can include meat, seafood, eggs, veggies, some fruits, natural fats. It is a way to teach your body to eat better healthier ingredients that are not processed. This is my 5th round and I love it. It changed the way I have a relationship with food.
Round 5 of my Whole30, I decided that my goal will be to make easy meals that don’t take more than an hour to make and the whole family can enjoy. This Whole30 one sheet pan sweet potato breakfast is the perfect no fuss breakfast. Add sweet potatoes and veggies, roast, add protein and eggs, finish with fresh herbs and avocado, bam, breakfast is done.
Another thing I am doing different this round is prepping my veggies in the beginning of the week instead of chopping everything every day. I mean some days I want something different and it’s ok to take the time to prep something else that was not planned. Getting the prep work out of the way in a few hours is something that can help you be more organized and stay on track with this program.
We love potatoes and sweet potatoes/yams in our family as a starch to add to meals. Usually I will prep about 4 large sweet potatoes and chop them into small cubes, I keep them in my Weck jars. Which if you follow me on my Instagram account, I talk about A LOT in my stories. This makes it very easy to throw together meal like this for the family in under 30 minutes.
This can be made in so many different ways too, get creative with the veggies you add to the sheet pan with your sweet potatoes. I love how colorful the red cabbage makes this dish and I had prepped it along with the potatoes this week so I was using it in different way like this on my Instagram page and this.
A tip for you guys, don’t get rid of your leftovers, use them in different ways so you aren’t eating the same thing. For me, I hate eating the same thing over and over. I want to enjoy a meal once and not eat it again that week, let alone the next day. My trick is always make a little extra so you have leftovers. You can then use them for a quick breakfast by heating it up and adding an egg on top or even to a sheet pan like this and topping it with an egg or avocado.
I am excited to share more recipes with you that will make delicious leftovers and will let you be creative with your food. I would love to hear what you like to make with your leftovers? Leave me a comment and let me know.
Lets get cooking on this yummy one sheet pan sweet potato breakfast. Can’t wait for you to try this meal. It’s so delicious. We love to top ours with a compliant hot sauce. Formosa makes some great hot sauces that have clean ingredients. Give them a try.
ONE SHEET PAN SWEET POTATO BREAKFAST
Serves 2-4 people
|4 cups||sweet potatoes, cut into 1/2″ cubes|
|2 cups||1″ chunks of red cabbage|
|2 tbsp||rendered duck fat or ghee or olive oil|
|2-4||Aidell chicken apple sausage, cut in half|
|1.5 tbsp||smoked paprika|
|1 tbsp + 1/4 tsp||sea salt or more to taste and top avocados|
|1-2||avocados, cut in half and thinly sliced|
|1/4||lemon, squeeze on avocados|
|1-2 tbsp||fresh chives or your favorite fresh leafy herbs|
1. Preheat oven to 425 F.
2. Rinse sweet potatoes. Cut into 1/4″ slices so they look like toasts, then cut into strips and finally cut into cubes. Now cut the red cabbage into half, then into 6 wedges and 1″ pieces. Break apart the cabbage so it’s not in large chunks, it’s ok if some are smaller.
3. Combine the potatoes, cabbage, duck fat/ghee or olive oil, smoked paprika and salt in a large bowl and toss to coat. Spread out on the baking pan. Roast until the potatoes and cabbage are toasty and starting to brown. Almost 20 mins.
4. Cut sausages in half. Take potatoes and cabbage out and mix, taste if you need to add any more seasoning, adjust to your liking. Add sausages and make space by moving potatoes and cabbage out of the way, add a tad of fat so eggs don’t stick and crack them into the empty spots. Reduce heat to 400 F. Add sheet back in and cook for about 8-10 minutes.
5. Cut avocados in half, discard seed and skin. Slice it in thin slices and then use your hand to press down to create a fan like shape. Sprinkle with salt and squeeze fresh lemon on top. Add to sheet pan along with chopped chives or herbs you like. Plate and add some hot sauce. Enjoy.
OTHER VEGGIE and MEAT OPTIONS TO TRY :
– Bell peppers, Brussels sprouts (I would cut those into quarters), zucchini, mushrooms, onions.
– Leftover cooked steak/pork/chicken, raw or cooked bacon, if you do raw, add with potatoes.
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE?
If you give my ONE SHEET PAN SWEET POTATO BREAKFAST a try? Let me know what you think. Leave a comment and don’t forget to take a picture and share it on my Facebook page or tag it #lenaskitchenblog on Instagram! I love seeing what you come up with!