This fall weather has me feeling all sorts of good feelings these days. It’s now the end of summer, school began last week and the weather has been getting a bit chilly in the mornings. These flaky mini chicken pot pies have me thinking of cozying up by the fire, wearing sweaters and boots and watching the leaves change outside.One of the best things about fall coming is turning on the oven to cook our dinners at home to make the house smell good and feel cozy too. I’m kind of obsessed with these mini chicken pot pies. They taste like the ultimate comfort food and are the perfect meal to have on-hand when you only need one serving at a time or you are feeding your family.
My flaky mini chicken pot pies are my new favorite meal to make for my family for the fall. It’s easy to make ahead of time if you are meal prepping for the week, pop it in the freezer or fridge until you need it. Plus you get to add a good amount of veggies to hide under the flaky dough. A new favorite food hack is to buy a juicy and already prepared rotisserie chicken at my local Fred Meyer store. Some days you just need a quick meal prep idea, they’re always ready to go and are perfectly juicy and tender. Let’s get started.
MINI CHICKEN POT PIES
2 cups of chopped carrots
1 small onion, chopped into small cubes
2 cups of broccoli, break off small pieces
2 cups of frozen green peas
one whole roasted chicken taken apart and shredded
2/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/3 cup unsalted butter
salt to taste
2 cups chicken broth
2 cups full fat milk (or whatever you have on-hand)
2 pie crusts or puff pastry (I used store-bought)
1 egg yolk beaten and brushed on the dough
1. Shred rotisserie chicken meat and set aside.
2. In a large saucepan, prepare sauce: cook onions in butter until soft and translucent. Add in the carrots half way so they can soften a bit. Stir in flour to form a paste. Now add the chicken broth and milk. Stir and bring to boil for one minute or until sauce thickens. Taste for salt and add according to taste. Remove from heat, set aside.
3. Combine chicken, broccoli and peas and stir well to combine everything together with the sauce.
4. Spoon mixture of chicken and veggies into prepared small oven safe bowls or small pie dishes, even mason jars will work for this.
5. Prepare the pie crusts according to your favorite homemade recipe or the directions on the box, I used store bought pie crust this time.
6. Cover with top crusts, seal edges, and cut away excess. Make small slits in the middle of each top to allow steam to escape. You can get creative and weave together strips of dough too, like I did on some of mine.
5. When you’re ready to eat, pre-heat the oven to 350 F (400F if doing puff pastry bake for 15 minutes) and bake uncovered pies for 75 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly. If the crust seems to start getting brown on the rim more, cover with foil and continue to cook.
Enjoy while these are hot.
NOTE : If freezing, cover each pie with a layer of wax paper and then foil. Place in the freezer for up to three months.
Thank you for supporting the brands that I enjoy. This post was sponsored by Kroger. All opinions are my own.
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE?
If you give these FLAKY MINI CHICKEN POT PIES a try? Let me know what you think. Leave a comment and don’t forget to take a picture and share it on my Facebook page or tag it #lenaskitchenblog on Instagram! I love seeing what you come up with!